By making a few basic changes and planning ahead, you can make your upcoming move green and eco-friendly.
Before you pack, recycle, sell, donate, or throw away everything you don’t need. You’ll use less packing material and save money on your move.
Pack in your containers
Before you opt for boxes, pack in your own containers:
- Laundry baskets
- Keep drawers full
- Buy only as many boxes as you need; plan ahead by taking an inventory of your things.
- Move in shifts so you can reuse boxes.
- Look behind retailers, shopping malls, office supply stores, and grocery stores for boxes to reuse.
- In some cities you can also rent plastic bins instead of using cardboard boxes.
- Check out https://www.usedcardboardboxes.com/ which takes rejected boxes with slight flaws like errors in logos and sells them for use in moving.
Eco-friendly packing materials
There are many ways to ensure your packing materials are more eco-friendly:
- Recycle used magazines and newspaper instead of buying packing paper
- Use blankets and towels instead of bubble wrap
- Use biodegradable packing materials if you need to buy them
- Some moving companies use biodiesel fuel
- You can often share a truck with another mover to save fuel
Green cleaning products
Cleaning is part of moving, so use green, eco-friendly cleaning products:
- Baking soda
Recycle materials after the move
When you’ve unpacked, recycle your boxes or reuse them:
- You can post an ad on Craigslist offering free moving boxes
- You can bring your boxes to a recycling center
- You can donate boxes to charities like Goodwill
Rent or buy gently used furniture
Renting furniture or buying it used is the most eco-friendly way to furnish your new home, because it upcycles materials that already exist, creates less waste, and prevents the demand for additional raw materials like wood and foam.
It’s easy to reduce your carbon footprint as you move if you follow these eco-friendly moving tips. Enjoy your greener move!